Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What am I doing for the rest of my life?

It's 1:30 PM and I am still in my pajamas, searching online job-boards, eating stale popcorn and waiting for the rain to end. 
As a recently "retired" hi-tech marketing manager I am, at 55 years young, trying to decide how to earn a living to support the rest of my life.  
I remember my dad being laid-off at age 54, back in 1972.  I was a sophomore in college. We didn't have online job boards then, so unlike me -- looking for work in my PJs -- he'd get up, Monday through Friday at his regular work time to shower, shave and put on a suit and tie. He'd read and circle the day's want ads while he drank his morning coffee, and resume in hand, he'd make the rounds of potential employers.  It took him four months of this routine to actually land a job.   One that he happened to love, by the way, working as a credit manager for Harris Seeds in Rochester, NY. 
My youngest daughter is just about to start her senior year of college, and she'll be traveling abroad to complete research for her senior thesis.  I feel a bit like I'm traveling abroad, too.  I am, at least, in a foreign country.  The land of older workers who have had to face competing for precious few jobs with a skilled and energetic younger workforce.  It's a place to which I never would have chosen to travel, and it's a territory whose successful navigation demands courage, perseverance and stamina. 
Some days, I feel up for the journey, and others, like this rainy Tuesday, I am discouraged and wondering -- What WILL I do for the rest of my life?
It is my intention, dear reader, to live until I'm 105, so your ideas are encouraged and most welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment